Ready Communities Specialist
PRIMARY PURPOSE: Identify and facilitate training for local leadership to support quality early education and family support programs, SNAP-ED, advocacy and health through grade 3. This position is responsible for establishing and maintain community outreach via educational forums, supporting the Latino and Hispanic Outreach Committee, and supporting the School Community teams and other community/neighborhood groups and agencies. This position will oversee the coordination of the Faith-Based Initiative, the Latino & Hispanic Outreach Committee, outreach programs, assist with Community Fellows as needed and identify volunteers for community-based action based upon DEPC’s mission and goals.
REPORTS TO: Ready Communities Coordinator
HOURS PER WEEK: 40 Hours
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Excellent organizational & time management skills
- Stress Management skills; able to multi-task
- Facilitation skills
- Recruitment skills
- Attention to detail
- Successful experience working with community groups/agencies including the faith community
- Work independently
- Work as part of a team (inclusive of Ready Schools, HKC, and Ready Communities)
- Adaptable to change
- Strength-based approach for working with families, communities and service providers
- Ability to use culturally sensitive practices
- Ability to work with many levels of staff within an organization and with cross stakeholder collaboration
- Prior public speaking experience
- Computer proficiency/social media proficiency
- Experience with Community Involvement / Community Building work/preferably in a faith-based environment
- Flexible schedule; may require some nights and weekends
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- At least (2) years’ experience in adult education, human service or related field.
- At least two years of community-based experience
- Must hold a 4 year degree
- Coordination of events such as trainings, meetings or conferences
- Assist with Child Find, including recruitment for NC PreK and kindergarten registration
- Identify targeted agencies, businesses, groups, civic organizations, providers, higher education and individuals to engage and solicit potential volunteers and partners for DEPC initiatives
- Oversee the Faith-Based Initiative: Recruit and engage diverse faith-based partners in DEPC Initiatives to include All Pro Dads, SNAP-ED, School Community Teams, and faith-based educational forums
- Provide coaching and support to the Latino & Hispanic Outreach Committee and connect members to community-based action around the health, early care, and family support systems
- Assist as needed in the Community Fellows 10 Week Leadership Program
- Maintain communication with community-based volunteers to keep DEPC abreast of community opportunities and to inform volunteers of DEPC initiatives, events, etc.
- Assist Ready Communities Coordinator in marketing and building the capacity of the Ready Communities plan
- Complete monthly and quarterly reports
- Work closely with the Evaluation Coordinator, Program Manager & Ready Community Coordinator to ensure a quality evaluation process
- Represent DEPC in meetings and activities/expos related to the Ready Communities and Ready Schools program
- Attend DEPC staff meetings
- Participate as a member of designated community committees as requested by supervisor or DEPC management
- Responsible and accountable to the Ready Communities Coordinator for day to day activities and other duties as deemed appropriate by the Executive Director and the Research and Development Director
- Bachelor’s degree in education, human service or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Valid driver’s license
- While performing this job the employee is:
- Frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands or arms; and talk or hear
- Periodically required to stand; walk, stoop or kneel
- Occasionally required to lift up to 25 pounds
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include: close vision and the ability to adjust focus to operate the computer.
- The position also requires the ability to periodically work under time pressure.
Please send Resume, Cover Letter, and references to Debra Lanham at 215 Lexington Street, P.O. Box 1245, Rocky Mount, NC 27801 or email to email@example.com