Here at DEPC, volunteers help us out daily! We rely on volunteers to help events run smoothly, help with various tasks as needed in the office, to become advocates for DEPC and so much more! Since we have so many amazing volunteers that dedicate their time for us, we have started the “Volunteer Monthly Spotlight!” Each month, DEPC will highlight a volunteer that has gone above and beyond the call of duty for DEPC. We love and appreciate each and every volunteer! This months Volunteer Monthly Spotlight shines on Mr. Sorell Massenburg!
Sorell Massenburg is a retired educator. He and his lovely wife, Joyce are wonderful community focused advocates for the education and success of children. They volunteered at DEPC years ago with Sonja Person for the Special Needs Support Group, now known as Circle of Parents. They are members in good standing at Church On the Rise and volunteer as Tutors at Peacemakers Freedom School. They are also very active in the Senior Center here in Rocky Mount.
Some of Sorell’s volunteerism at DEPC as an advocate includes:
- Week of the Young Child Volunteer for the Children’s Parade
- participation in the Targeted Workshop for Pre-K & K Roundup
- Summer Night Light Volunteer for Pre-K & K Canvassing
- Summer Feeding Celebration Volunteer to call sites for final numbers, came in for room set up day before event, and served with Lolita, a DEPC staff member, at registration table the day of the celebration
- Participation in ECCP meeting & SNAP-ED Kickoff
- Volunteer at Freedom School for after-school program
- Volunteer we recruited through Rocky Mount Senior Center and has been volunteering even while in the 10 week leadership program
- Volunteered for Read Across America at Baskerville Elementary School
- Volunteered for Kids ID at DEPC
Thank you Sorell Massenburg for your continued hard work and dedication to DEPC. We are thankful for everything you do and greatly appreciate your time and participation. You help us launch every child as a healthy, life-long learner by the end of the third grade and strive to make every child happy, healthy and hopeful. This month’s Volunteer Monthly Spotlight is dedicated to you!